The Fear Of Failure


Failure - an act or instance of failing or proving unsuccessful

If there's something about me that defines me in my entirety, it's the fact that I am a complete and utter perfectionist.

I've always remembered being this way even in primary school. I had to get everything done precisely and I wouldn't rest until everything was completed to my standards. I had to excel in everything. If I didn't like my handwriting on a page of notes for the Leaving Cert, I would rip out the page and write it again. I would draft out my homework at least once on a scrap of paper before transcribing it into my actual copy. For me, that was normal. For perfectionists, there is no in-between. It's 100% or you're a complete failure. Somewhere along the way however I feel like my perfectionism has turned into my worst nightmare. I mean, it's great when your inner-self wins over your wish to procrastinate and watch Netflix and you get things done and you do them well.  But it's starting to feel unhealthy, there's so much pressure to be my definition of perfect all of the time.

Why? I'm afraid of failure. I have a constant fear of failing and not being good enough. 
The feeling of failure was exacerbated at school. However, in a way school helped me because in class success is quantifiable. But take away teachers and parents and friends, I'm my own problem. I want so badly for myself to do well. The problem with this entire situation is that I don't know to step back. I don't know how to step back from my work and responsibilities because if I do I just feel guilty. Watching a TV episode is near impossible when you have a constant shadow reminding me of all of the other things I could be doing.

I always had people at school say "Your notes are so perfect" or "How are you so organised all of the time?" It's not that I  wanted to be I needed to.  Let's look at a more modern example; this blog. I could spend at least half an hour re-drafting just the title of a post. I could spend over an hour re-arranging the order of words or changing the words completely. I could edit the same picture ten times and still not be happy with it. Ultimately, I'm my own worst enemy. The fear of failing is attenuating. Imakes me worry about my ability to pursue the future desire. It makes me worry about how smart I really am. The fear of failing makes me worry about disappointing people whose opinion I value. I always tend to tell myself people beforehand that I don’t expect to succeed in order to lower their my expectations of me.

When did failure become this lurking amorphous concept that we are so afraid of? A part of embracing imperfection is letting failure, this ominous unthinkable thing, be a part of our lives. As  Eloise Ristad says "When we give ourselves permission to fail, we, at the same time, give ourselves permission to excel.” 




18 comments

  1. Failure is so hard now as we are always compared to each other!!! Great post! xox
    www.emmalanglands.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be hard to be like this but at least you will never fail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely get what you mean! I'd say I'm a perfectionist too and people always say 'you are so organised' but it can be so stressful if I'm not and I forget something I need to do. Such a good post x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me so sad! 😔

    -kimberleyjessica.Blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I constantly put this pressure on myself to its so hard when you feel that everyones looking at you to be the best it makes the thought of failing even harder

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post so much. When I was at university I worked ridiculously hard and spent so much time perfecting everything. Even now I spend ages getting things ready for work - I relate so much to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice post, it's good that bloggers are being more 'normal' to their readers! :) x
    www.izzieslife.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most people are afraid of failure. It is why many people don't date or something. It is something some people struggle with. Great post.

    S .x http://ramblingsofayoungprgirl.blogspot.com/2016/08/review-protector-by-jodi-ellen-malpas.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a good post and something I can totally relate to. I don't understand why others can't understand that failure is something that scares others
    Laura x
    fbl-savvy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, it is definitely something to think about. I can get so scared of failure when really you need to fail in order to eventually succeed! X

    Www.paintingoctober.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ALWAYS have a fear of failure and not being good enough for people, it's pretty scary isn't it? You just have to remind yourself that failure isn't necessarily a bad thing. Great post lovely X

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a lovely post. I used to put so much pressure on myself because of this but then I realised that if I wanted something enough, I would always keep trying even if I did fail so can I really fail if I won’t stop trying until I achieve what I desire? It’s a tough one, I’m trying my best to operate on a ‘not giving up’ and ‘sometimes you win, sometimes you learn’ basis. So far so good I think!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a lovely post - I think a lot of us fear failure and put a lot of stress on ourselves without the need, it's juts something that we do without realising but a really lovely post.

    Look forward to seeing more from you.

    Layla xx

    http://www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really really enjoyed reading this, I can totally relate, I can spend half an hour if the title of my blogpost is correct and changing little words to make it as close to perfect as possible. Great post xx

    Sofia | www.theglamchapter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a fantastic, empowering and relatable post! I am also a total perfectionist, especially when it comes to studying, and often I find that this trait is very detrimental to my enjoyment of my studies. I am trying to be more relaxed and less uptight but I think this will be a long journey! Thank you for sharing your experiences, you write so well 💕

    Abbey ✨ www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such an amazing read! Very relatable!
    Thank you for sharing!

    Jessica & James
    foodandbaker.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's a difference between trying hard and feeling like you're scared to fail. I'm the same, there's so much I won't even attempt (even if it looks fun) because I'm scared I'll get it wrong. It's a difficult balancing act but try and relax and let yourself enjoy things without feeling so much pressure on being perfect. Wishing you all the best!

    Beth x
    www.adventureandanxiety.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh wow, this was pretty gripping! I used to wish I could be more of a perfectionist and more regimental with myself/work but I can understand where you are coming from here. Great post, really well written. X
    www.sopherina.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig